Sunday, November 06, 2011

It's not always about flower..

A while back, I posted my daughter has gotten engaged. Needless to say, being 'in the business' I kind of have a leg up on the planning and vendors, which has helped to make our planning a snap. But, that doesn't mean I don't have the same thoughts as every other person-about what can go wrong on my daughter's wedding day.

Earlier today I saw an interesting post from a site for a DJ service called "Scratch Weddings". They are old school actually spinning vinyl--[my son would be in heaven.] Anyway, as I looked thru their blog I came across the following words of wisdom and thought it was important to share.

--In the spirit of planning for the worst, we polled our Facebook friends, DJs and recent newlyweds to compile our 7 Sure-Fire Ways to Clear Your Wedding Dance Floor list:

#7 – Hire a DJ who talks too much. “At this particular moment in time, could you put your hands together and give it up for the parking valet hanging out in your car.”

#6 – Tell the DJ to turn up the speakers as loud as they go. Never mind the fact that the Richter scale at the nearby college earth science lab is red-lining…Your guests will love the ear-splitting sub-woofers, we’re sure.

#5 – Stick with one genre all night long. I’m sure no one in the crows likes different genres?

#4 – Don’t pre-screen a DJ’s ability to blend, beat-match and scratch. Yes, wedding guests love being able to experience train wreck transitions – a.k.a., those poor mixes between songs that you never hear from a Scratch Weddings’ DJ.

#3 – Change gears faster than an 18-wheeler on a freeway entrance ramp. Book a DJ who says yes to a request from guests who want to hear a Viennese waltz and then cuts a Michael Jackson song short to crank up Johann Strauss.

#2 – Fail to read the crowd. The latest song prompted the feet of 100+ guests to go limp and a look of “are you on another planet?” to flash across their faces.

#1 – Announce, “The bar’s closing in 10 minutes.” Do we even need to explain this one? Give your guests a solid 30 minutes to get their last cocktail.

We are having a DJ for my daughter's wedding. One of Jen's biggest requests was- after some serious eating- the reception be 'one big, non-stop dance party'. So, the music and they way it is executed will be very important. I can definitely say that reading the 'Top 7' list definitely made sense to me. I know I have experienced all of these things at someone's wedding over the years. And to me, there's nothing worse than music being played that is completely inappropriate for the setting; especially when it's completely obvious as the dance floor evacuates - but the DJ doesn't change the music.

I'm looking forward to an incredibly memorable day. Dancing, great food and of course, a wonderful couple of days with our families. I know June will be here incredibly fast. I plan on enjoying every minute spent along the way.

No comments: