Monday, July 13, 2009

Mission Executed




Mission executed. The photos are just a few shots from the hotel lobby where the symposium took place. I will post more on our Facebook page. 

As I’m returning home and almost home in the Chicago airport.. I am reflecting on what I have experienced and done these past few days. Basically, what have I learned? 

First, there really is no place like home.. and like Dorothy, only until you’re gone do you appreciate it more.

Second, I’m really glad I switched my major from nursing to floral. I truly, passionately love what I do. Getting to go on this trip reassured this even more me. Not that I ever doubted it.

Third, I have truly amazing and priceless people working with me. While I was gone, Jessica and Joyce held down the shop. Jessica’s friend Jyn graciously came in and helped while Grace was also away. I knew I would not have to worry. They organized and hosted our shop in the first Wine Walk in the historic district. {Grace made it back in time to experience the Wine Walk.} I’ve been told it was a huge success. The shop looked amazing- of course, and over 400 people mixed and mingled. I heard we had great compliments on the shop and flowers- of course, they did a great job! Our complete goal is to always make Lavender Hill a beautiful place to visit and shop for beautiful flowers.

 

So, while I was gone, I met new friends. I was gone on a wonderful educational experience. I and about 118 other designers came together to test our design skills. It was nerve wracking. Even thought you know what you know, is it enough? No. There’s always more to learn. You don’t know what you’re going to be asked to create. You don’t know what flowers, greenery or containers you will be given. You only know it’s complete quiet for 4 hours. You try not to loose it. You focus and just create. It was a definite experience and I’m so glad I had the opportunity to attend and participate.

 

While at the Symposium I had the opportunity to help out in the massive design room. Wonderful designers from all over the world combined forces to create the Symposium for this year. Although I didn’t get to stay for the whole event, the behind the scenes were amazing. Beautiful flower-tens of thousands of them in every color imaginable. It was breathtaking!.. and also very cold. The design room is kept very cold while all of this work is in progress. The presenting designers were from the US and abroad. Their programs were designed to make the attendant’s think beyond the normal- although I know none of us think in a normal way. I mean that in a very good way. So, from the glimpse I saw, the event was going to be absolutely spectacular.

 

I hope that next year I will able to attend and participate beyond what I was able to do this year. I have a great imagination so I can picture it already.. reconnect with the friends I made this year and really enjoy the Symposium – the WHOLE Symposium.

I’m almost home and it feels really good.

 

 

 

No comments: