Monday, February 07, 2011

VD. It's coming whether you like it or not.

VD. Valentine's Day....aka "A made-up florist's holiday"

Okay, I've had enough. This holiday has been around for a while and long enough for EVERYONE to know this isn't true. Flowers, although one of my favorite things- are not the only thing going on for Valentine's Day. And by the way, I'm keeping count of how many people call and pronounce it ValenTIME's Day. Just sayin-

I'm just going for the love factor and not even talking about flowers on this one. I'm not pushing anything other than LOVE. My most significant and memorable Valentine's Day was at the age of 15. I was a freshman in high school and totally smitten with my boyfriend, now husband. Yes, we've been together since we were 15!

Every high schooler's dread- what to do for Valentine's Day. You don't want to do too much but you don't want to look like you didn't make any effort either. I cannot even remember what I gave him- but I do remember, and still have, the hand written valentine letter he gave me. Complete with this little face he draws [his trademark]

I was head over heels for him, before I'd even met him -[I'd seen his photo.]...but that's another story. My point is- no matter what you purchase - give it from the heart. Even if it's a handwritten note or card- those are truly the very best gifts anyway especially if accompanied by flowers- Oops! Think about what you want to say. You might not think it's a big deal- but it is. Because they, like me, might really keep it forever... and forever is a LONG time.

Have a great Valentine's Day.

No comments: