Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Enough Winter already!!

I know being from Chicago, winter shouldn't faze me [and really it doesn't] but I'm really over it already. I'm so over the gloomy, over cast sky and ice, although those iced branches were absolutely beautiful while I drove down the hills from the Knobs. There is always something positive with each negative. And I have really enjoyed all of the yummy hot chocolate. So bring on Spring!!

Yippee!! While at the flower market this morning- that hardest thing was deciding -what not to buy? There were beautiful tulips, flowering cherry branches, ranunculus, iris, gorgeous snap dragon, and daffodil. A favorite limited availablity flower- acacia aka.. mimosa at the market. Oh, be still my heart. I love this stuff! I think it holds a special place in my heart because I remember when I first started in my floral career- let's see...25 years ago- yes, I was only 10-wink, wink... I loved seeing all of these unusual flowers I was completely unaware of. Acacia was one of them- it looked like fuzzy, yellow Trix cereal on a branch. But they smelled like a pumpkin when it's cut open-- pretty but not flowery scented.

So, I've attached some photos of the acacia and another absolute favorite- ranunculus. The pictures don't do the flowers any justice..they're just beginning to open. They look like beautiful twins to an English rose when they're in full bloom. They're beautiful just by themselves with nothing else.

And of course.. there's the photo of Lulu. This cat leads a great life. She has tons of people who just love her. They really do just come in to the shop and ask for her. They don't care about the beautiful acacia..they don't even ask what's new- just "Where's Lulu?" So, I caught the fur-ball sleeping on my desk. I had to document this and just share the moment. I wish I could sleep like that.. not a care in the world. Hmmmm. Maybe she's thinking about Spring.

All the best.
Carolyn and Lulu

No comments: