Saturday, March 08, 2008

Major snow and a wedding

March .. it's spring, well almost.

At least it's spring at the flower markets..tulips, daffodils, hydrangea plants. And of course brides planning their wedding for March 8 are thinking spring. I know that's what my bride Karry and her fiance Patrick were thinking. But Mother Nature must not have received her invitation to the wedding.

Like most couples, Karry and Patrick planned their spring wedding with much excitement and anticipation. As we all know, by Wednesday of this week, we were expecting snow. Typically that's not such a big deal. But, this was mega snow...at least for southern Indiana. The location of the ceremony and reception was nestled up in Starlight at Huber's Winery. On a good day, the drive is beautiful- when there's snow, I don't feel the same way.

So I called the Mother of the Bride- I prefered not to speak with the bride, she didn't need any more stress than necessary. .[Mom agreed] Mother confirmed the day, storm or not, would commence as planned. But.. being a wise mother, she said bring everything Friday instead of Saturday- the actual wedding day. We were able to keep everything refrigerated at Huber's- [They're wonderful to work with. They are on my list of preferred places to work for that reason and many more.] The roads were messy but drivable. We both knew that Saturday may not be the same. The snow would continue through Friday night.

Luckily, my wonderful Friday crew, Kim, Joyce and Larry, kicked it up getting all of the decor and accessories packed for delivery while I did the floral work. Not only did we have the wedding flowers, but the rehearsal dinner decor also.

So, Larry accompanied me -he said he'd drive-[I think he was afraid I'd fly off a curve, he doesn't know what a cautious driver I am.. the flowers are like driving with babies in the vehicle.. add snow to the mix and I'm even more careful.] So off we went. Got up there, set up, drove back to the shop and loaded up the rehearsal stuff. Drove to the Bristol downtown and headed home ASAP. Then it really snowed!!

Well, I guess there's always a first for everything. I've never had snow interrupt a wedding and I've never set up a wedding one day before. So even after 25 years of being the business..expect the unexpected.

Best wishes to Karry and Patrick- your adventure has begun. I hope the day was wonderful and your trip to Florida is memorable.

All the best-
Carolyn

No comments: